"Several weeks ago I felt pretty overwhelmed but could not figure out why. Then I heard a list of the everyday expectations we place on ourselves:
- Be slim, physically fit, and toned.
- Have great hair, make-up, and a fashionable wardrobe.
- Be intelligent articulate, and computer-savvy.
- Be popular and sexually attractive but of good character.
- Pursue all your gifts and talents to the point of mastery.
- Marry someone with all the above traits.
- Communicate, have romance, share chores, have date nights.
- Have a beautiful home, which is clean, organized, and well-decorated.
- Cook low-fat, low-carb, high-protein, gourmet meals.
- Maintain a beautiful, mulched yard,
- Produce children who are cute, healthy, intelligent, and well-behaved, who get into the right schools, who don’t succumb to peer pressure but are well-liked and popular.
- Be financially successful.
- Stay current in your field.
- Read good books for pleasure.
- Be confident but not abrasive.
- Be humble and spiritual.
- Create traditions and holidays that are beautiful and meaningful.
- Write letters, remember birthdays and anniversaries, send cards and gifts.
- Keep in touch with friends.
- Have deep family relationships.
- Be relaxed, friendly, and easy-going.
I'll be the 1st to admit there are a few more things on my list - one being running. It would go like this "Be a great runner" To me being 'great' is running 8ish min miles for a continuous amount of time. Yes I can get there with time and practice and patience but its hard work ontop of all the other expectations.
I'm attempting to trim down my list. It is hard, especially for women in my opinion. Whats the first thing I'm trimming thats relevant to me? I'm not sure at the moment, I've just sat here for 15 minutes trying to figure out what to say and I'm just drawing a blank. So I'll have to get back to ya.
What do you think? Are there more expectations that you put onyourself that aren't on the list?
Will you 'trim down' your list?